Sunday, April 11, 2010

Enchilados Camerones


May's Real Simple featured a "my mother's best recipe" article that completely surprised me. I was expecting 50s-style casseroles, but the recipes were varied and interesting, including this Puerto Rican recipe for Enchilados Camerones. These mouth-watering shrimp tacos are a fresh alternative to the heavy, cheesy Tex-Mex my husband and I love but shouldn't eat as often as we do. The recipe reads almost like a Latin version of cacciatore, but the tomato-based sauce for the shrimp ends up making a warm, mild salsa. It was my first time using sweet smoked paprika and I was amazed that it smelled just like barbeque Lay's potato chips! The trickiest part of the recipe was making sure the shrimp cooked. I had to turn the heat down fairly low on the sauce to get it to simmer, and had difficulty determining when the shrimp were opaque due to the sauce. I ended up turning the heat up to medium and cooking for several minutes longer. With simple canned black beans on the side, this ended up making an impressive spread that I'm sure guests would gobble up as fast as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment