Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cauliflower Curry Soup

My last soup hurrah for the year, as part of Mark Bittman's "Creamy, Brothy, Earthy, Hearty" NY Times Article, was the cauliflower curry soup. If this article would have been published last October, I'm pretty sure I would have cooked from it for weeks. Sadly, it's in the 80s here, so I'll hold on to the other options for a few months. In fact, this recipe would have likely floundered in my files until then except for the fact that I am obsessed with cauliflower soup. I love how close it is in taste and texture to potato soup, but so much lighter. Since the premise of the article was customization, I made a few tweaks in my first making, earlier than I normally would. I couldn't bear the thought of boiling the onions and missing out on the aromatics, so I sauteed for a few minutes in olive oil before adding the ginger, and then the water. As a result I shortened boiling time to around 7 minutes prior to adding the cauliflower. Note: 2 cups of cauliflower is a tiny amount, not even half of a head of cauliflower, so plan ahead for that. The end result was a little magical, almost like eating a light curry sauce by itself (except it's a soup!) without lacking any flavor. I'm wavering on whether I want to try to substitute for the water next time; I may try half vegetable broth. Will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment