Saturday, June 12, 2010

Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder with Carrots, Onions and Garlic


As of late, I've become a HUGE roast pork fan. Seriously, it has replaced my trusty standby, pot roast with french onion soup mix, as the #1 most desirable roast meat at my house. And it's all because of this Fine Cooking recipe, which absolutely kills in its simplicity. This is THE dinner if you're a nervous cook and your mother-in-law is coming over, because it's easy, can be started in advance and gives you plenty of time to clean your kitchen while it's in the oven. (It's also truly great, though, if you don't care what shape your kitchen is in and you have the ability and desire to turn the pan drippings into pork gravy). I have actually strongly considered buying a 6 3/4 to 7 lb. roast for the two of us, based solely on the idea of pulled pork leftovers, but haven't found anything larger than 3 1/2 lbs. As such, I cooked for around 3 hours at 300 to get to a solid 165-170 degrees. I skipped the last step, breaking up the pork, and instead just put the vegetables in for the extra time at 375 degrees. The vegetables need the full amount of time in the recipe to soften.

Confessions: I have made this dish twice, and neither time did I let the pork sit overnight. I did let it sit at room temp both times.

Next pork stop: the Porchetta-Style Roast Pork in bon appetit's June 2010 issue. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment