Monday, October 11, 2010

Steak with Roasted Carrots and Onions


Week 1, Day 4, will need a do-over... catch it next time.

Week 1, Day 5, however, was the perfect fit for a Friday night. Steak and wine is the best reward for a week of chicken and diet Coke. No idea what Newport steaks are; we bought a large NY strip steak and split it. Since we needed to open a new bottle of wine for the sauce, I opted for red; the sauce was a dark burgandy instead of a nice mustard color, but it was delicious. I've never cooked with tarragon before; Central Market doesn't carry it in the local herb section, so I bought the package and was scared when I opened it and smelled the black licorice-y flavor. Fortunately, the dijon and the wine tone down the anise and negate the Twizzler effect. So easy that this may be my go-to sauce for steak. And I love when recipes remind me that all you need to bring out the best flavor in vegetables is olive oil, salt, pepper and a roasting pan (see, e.g., asparagus). Somehow the onions imbued their scent not only in my entire kitchen, but in the carrots as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment