Monday, October 11, 2010

Turkey Burgers with Creamy Romaine Slaw


Week 1, Day 3 (skipping the pasta dish due to excess carbs, boo).

I have never been a huge fan of turkey burgers. I think this is because I've seen too many episodes of the Biggest Loser where Jillian and Bob chastise the contestants for eating ground turkey that is not strictly breast meat; therefore, when I am trying to have a "healthy" burger, I'll substitute chicken breast or a black bean burger. But it turns out black bean burgers have a huge amount of sodium, and even 93/7 turkey is low in calories, and we're all going to die anyway. Also: my first turkey burger was incredibly bland and difficult to forget.

But these turkey burgers are not bland! It's kind of the Giada de Laurentiis throw a bunch of stuff in the turkey meatballs approach (see here). I liked the tangy mustard, and the oniony scallions, and I loved that I had already bought thyme for the previous day's recipe. The romaine and carrot slaw was a fun topping; my husband admitted that he hated coleslaw, but that this version was both creamier and more flavorful. Success! I used baby romaine, which took a little longer to slice, but I used a food pro for grating the carrots and that went quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment