Sunday, April 17, 2011

Grilled Mahi-Mahi with Thai Coconut Sauce


The first time I made this grilled mahi mahi from Bon Appetit's July 2010 issue I almost chickened out midway through. Clam juice does not smell good; neither does fish sauce. Also, the "Dinner in Half an Hour" tag is a lie, and it became painfully apparent that my rice had cooked past the point of eatability while I was prepping the first seven ingredients. But! I perservered, and I would like to tell all the clam juice-hating commenters on epicurious.com to try this recipe again as written. Give the sauce the full amount of time to reduce (8 to 9 minutes wasn't enough for me; try 12-14) and you will be rewarded with a complex, spicy, authentic Thai-style sauce that wakes up the mellow mahi mahi and rice. Their cooking time for the mahi mahi was also accurate for my grill pan on medium high; both times I've made this I've wanted to take it off early, and then realized the center of the fish hadn't quite cooked through. 2 teaspoons of serrano chile is very spice; I think I'll try 1 1/2 next time. If you want something mild, I'd try 1/2 teaspoon instead of the full teaspoon. Another note as to proportion: because the sauce is so yummy, I prepare this as a two-serving meal, using the same sauce measurements but 14 to 16 ounces of fish. I know this sounds gluttonous, but per Bon Appetit's measurements, 2 servings of the recipe as prepared is only 438 calories, and my version with a smaller portion of fish would be slightly less than that (plus calories for rice, obviously, but still not a bad dinner count).

No comments:

Post a Comment