Sunday, April 17, 2011

Red Currant-Glazed Chicken with Spinach


Week 2, day 3. (I'm nearing the end of this series... should have a wrap-up post in the next few weeks!)

Easy variation on roast chicken. I didn't blog about it the first go-around because I used a rimmed baking sheet, as directed, and cleaning up the baked-on redcurrant glaze was a nightmare. It's actually good that I didn't write about it then, because I've experimented a bit on this recipe after 2 more tries. Now I use a ceramic baking dish, covered in foil. I also use Bonne Maman redcurrant jelly, which was recommended separately in this issue of Real Simple; 1 jar will work for 2 of these recipes. Use a full teaspoon of the red pepper flakes if you'd like to taste the red pepper flavor. Instead of chicken pieces, I buy a whole roaster so I can save the rest for stock. I find that 10 ounces of spinach is woefully inadequate for 4 servings-- try 2. Next time I really need to remember that, and also that I need to buy a new basting brush, since my husband left ours outside on the grill for 3 weeks. Once discovered, that went straight in the garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment