Sunday, April 24, 2011

Penne with Tomatoes, Eggplant and Mozzarella


Week 1, day 2. (Are we done yet? Almost.)

From here on out I am referring to this recipe as deconstructed eggplant parm. Not sure why I didn't pick up on this from the ingredients-- tomato, eggplant, mozzarella, pasta, olive oil, garlic-- but I didn't, and it was a total surprise when I took my first bite. Yum! Just a smidge lighter than classic eggplant parm; summertime eggplant parm, if you will? The mint leaves help add to the freshness.

Since I wasn't on board yet with the final form this would take, you could understand my confusion about what to do with the mozzarella cubes. Should they go in the hot pasta? Or should it cool a little so they could maintain their shape? The answer is the former, as the gooey mozzarella strings really connect this dish. One note, although my husband disagrees, if you've bought a block of mozzarella that is 0.6 pounds, instead of 0.5 pounds, don't just throw the extra in; it's too much cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment