Saturday, July 24, 2010

Mmmeatloaf


Oh, I felt so Sandra Lee-style guilty when I made this recipe. But let's face it: meatloaf is meant to be made mom-style, with fat and preservatives. It's a sometimes meal, but a delicious one, especially the crunchy cheese and cracker pieces (hint: use about 13 Ritz crackers). I took a friend's advice and put two slices of stale bread in the bottom of the pan; that helped to absorb grease, but definitely use extra lean beef (my husband completely canceled out this step by eating the bread and pronouncing it yummy). I take the meatloaf out about 160 degrees to ensure it is cooked through. The meatloaf is a little crumbly no matter how long you wait, but I would wait at least a few (say 10) minutes before slicing or you'll end up with meatcrumble. Top with a mixture of ketchup, honey, and worchestershire sauce-- we used 6 tablespoons, 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon, respectively, to cover the loaf.


No comments:

Post a Comment