Saturday, July 17, 2010

Fish Tacos and Green Guacamole


Serendipity! I dvred Good Eats: American Classics VIII: Tacos last week and before I watched it, received the Central Market circular advertising a tilapia special. I added tilapia and taco ingredients to my menu planning list and my husband asked, "Are you going to make the fish tacos from Good Eats this week?" Aha! The episode turned out to be exactly what I was envisioning on my shopping list. When it came time to make the tacos, we skipped the complex tortilla preparation/homemade crema and just went with simple queso fresca and Nigella's green guacamole. I tasted the marinade after I prepared it and I was alarmed-- it is pungent. But cooked off and paired together with the flaky white fish, it added a lot of flavor without overwhelming the fish with hot spice. We made the guacamole extra lime-y to complement the fish. Yummy.

Note: I'm not sure that I would wholeheartedly recommend the guacamole on its own with chips, as I love a thick dip with a strong onion-y and tomato-y flavor for that, but as a complement to an entree, this was perfect. I may make it again with my Enchilados Camerones-- I'll be using up the queso fresca on that recipe later this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment